Joel Schlessinger MD warns consumers about the dangers of nail salon practices
Exposure to UV lights at the salon can lead to serious health risks, explains Joel Schlessinger MD.
In a recent article for the Dermatology Times, Joel Schlessinger MD discusses the dangers many people are exposed to while at the nail salon. More and more, he is seeing skin cancer on women who have been exposed to the UV light devices used to dry nails.
“We have to warn our patients about the possibility of this, especially if they have a history of skin cancer or if they have had significant sun exposure already,” says Joel Schlessinger MD.
Women who are exposed to this UV light on a regular basis are at a significant risk of developing skin cancer as well as visible signs of aging.
Joel Schlessinger MD reveals that proper hygiene is not always upheld at salons.
Many nail salons share tools and products between customers, which can contribute to the transmission of bacteria and infections.
“I was shocked to hear that the standard of practice is that the tools are reused from patient to patient, and that nail files are commonly shared,” says Joel Schlessinger MD.
Everything from chairs to water basins can be shared without being properly sanitized. Exposure to tools that have not been sanitized can cause mycobacterial infections and fungal infections.
Joel Schlessinger MD explains how to protect yourself while at the salon.
Women should attempt to find an alternative method for drying their polish rather than exposing their nails to UV light. You can also insist on newly sanitized tools and utensils to protect against contracting an infection.
Many dermatologist offices and spas provide nail services that adhere to medical sanitization standards. Consumers can use these services to ensure that they are receiving top quality care.
Questions about best practices at nail salons? Ask Joel Schlessinger MD in the comment section below.